Monday, March 5, 2012

35 Weeks

This journey feels like it's been long, but in relevance to the complexity of the human that has developed during it, it seems so incredibly short, or timeless.

We saw our little guy a few days ago, when we had our third ultrasound of the pregnancy,  to check size and blood flow due to my lower fundal height measurement. The tech was able to confirm for us without any doubt that he's a boy. He was adorable! He's upside-down, and constantly moving. She couldn't get a clear shot of his face, as his busy hands were covering it, but did get a view of his buttony nose (nostrils) and mouth from the front.. He also had one of his (very small and cute) feet very close to his face. I have a much better understanding of what he's doing now when I feel his bum against my ribs (almost constantly). We saw his spine, his ribs, his legs, his bladder, his strong heartbeat. We will find out how the ultrasound went when we see our obstetrician on Friday, but if there was a problem we should have already found out. Till then I am trying my best to eat as much as possible and gain those last five or six pounds for baby.

Yesterday was the baby shower my mom held for me with my sister's help, and it was super fun. There were lots of white and blue balloons, yellow ribbons, and a cute "baby shower" banner with baby Winnie the Pooh characters on it. Some lovely friends and family came over and we ate wonderful food (vegan "egg salad" and chickpea salad on baguette with sprouts, hummus, Tofutti cream cheese dip, tons of veggies and fruit, pasta salad, toasted seasoned cashews and peanuts, cookies, vegan chocolate dream squares, date squares, fruit crisp...) and drew names for beautiful gifts that my mom had put in a basket. I received so many amazing and thoughtful baby gifts, and even a hand blender and a cd from my husband who showed up later. Even though I feel so aware of the baby and the due date, after being surrounded by so much support it felt like this is really happening. Not that it takes much to get me emotional, but this definitely did. As I haven't felt a single contraction to date, it feels pretty strange to know (rather, hope) that in a matter of weeks my body will know to give birth to the baby. And then we will have a little boy, a boy who we won't ever not have again.

It is so great to be off work; I constantly feel the urge to just get all the last minute tasks done, all the nesting, buying the baby equipment, all the food prep, and the relaxation. Just getting over a cold today, which slowed me down a little, although I could of course still knit so everything was fine. One square to go for the blanket!

Baby boy, keep up all your kicking; you are doing so good. You have a very lucky family and a beautiful world ready to greet you. The night you are born, I will recite Goodnight Moon to you, okay? xoxo Mama oxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment