Sunday, February 19, 2012

Mmmushroom Soup

Mushroom soup is controversial... it is right in the league of things like olives and raisins, those food items that one either- as they say- loves, or hates. All of the aforementioned foods fall into the former category for me, and I like to think it's because I have slightly gourmet tastebuds.  I happen to worship the glory of the mushroom, in all its salty, flavourful richness, and always have. As someone who even enjoyed those cans of cream of mushroom soup as a kid, I admit my love for them is not fickle, but as I've learned to cook over the last several years I have gained new appreciation for the methods that best honour the flavour and texture of these beauteous gems from the world of fungi.

This recipe is something that does capture these qualities, in creamy, luxurious soup form. As I have craved little during this pregnancy other than lots of pure fruit juice and a good bowl of soup, I cannot help but give the recipe, titled "On Golden Pond Mushroom Soup", from La Dolce Vegan by the famous Sarah Kramer a respectful mention. Creamy, mushroomy, dill-y perfection. It definitely outshone the mashed potatoes I also made for dinner, and my baby now has the hiccups (whatever that may mean!). I am very excited that I have leftovers for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment